With pregnancy comes great responsibility—and nutrition is no exception. When eating for two (or three, or four), it becomes that much more important to ensure nutrient needs are being met. One major example? Vitamin D. Studies show that over 90% of pregnant women are not getting enough vitamin D from their diets; in fact, according to the most recent National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data, pregnant women are only getting about 30% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) from the foods they eat, leaving an approximate 70% gap in vitamin D intake.* (1)
And considering the myriad of roles vitamin D plays in the body—everything from assisting with calcium absorption and bone health maintenance to supporting normal immune and muscle function (not to mention infant dental health)—there’s a strong case to be made to improve those numbers. Translation? We can do better by our bodies, and the first step toward creating healthier habits is to get informed.* (5)
In this crash course, we’ll cover some key things to keep in mind about vitamin D and pregnancy, including what vitamin D is (and why it matters), how much is recommended, ideal sources, and where vitamin D supplements fit into it all.