As a people-centric organization, we partner with suppliers who care as much about their supply chains as we do. Being Made Traceable® is more than just knowing the ingredients in our products, it is crucial for understanding our impact on communities and the environment.
Ritual determines which ingredients and manufacturing areas are high-risk for human rights violations (en ever-evolving territory) by drawing best practices from International Labour Organization (ILO) and international human rights experts.
Like vanilla, which we responsibly sourced directly from farmer-owned cooperative farms in Madagascar. Our supplier ADM partners with the non-profit Sahanala to help enable the first farmer-owned vanilla supply chain in Madagascar.
We hold all our partners in the supply chain accountable for the health and well-being of the supply chain as outlined in the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act, which became effective on January 1, 2012.
Another example is the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (2021), which assumes that any goods produced or manufactured in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China are produced using forced labor.
Our Internal Reviews (as outlined in our traceable sourcing commitment) May Contain:
• Verification: A formal review during the development process to understand and address risks related to human rights
• Audits: Phone, paper, and in-person audits where needed for high risk suppliers
• Certification: Require manufacturers and suppliers to comply with local, national and international laws, and prioritize those that have robust human rights diligence programs
• Internal accountability: Internal standards that protect whistleblowers and require teams to follow human rights reviews
• Trainings: Annual training for teams working along our supply chain
All this work led to us getting a B!
Ritual became one of the first supplement companies to become Certified B Corporation: A comprehensive evaluation of Ritual's impact on customers, workers, governance, community, and the environment, paired with a road-map for further progress in these areas.