A cool fact about calcium: It’s the most abundant mineral in the body. In fact, 99% of our body’s calcium lives in our bones and teeth. (The other 1% helps out with other processes.)* (1)
Needless to say, calcium is kind of a big deal—and it’s definitely worth making sure you’re meeting your daily levels. The recommended intake for calcium for men over 18 and women ages 18-49 is 1,000 mg per day. (For women over 50, it’s 1,200 mg per day.) But here’s an important caveat: Despite its celebrity status, calcium may not always belong in a multivitamin. It’s definitely possible to get enough calcium through diet alone, and supplementing with more calcium on top of that isn’t necessarily the answer.
Instead, we like to focus on calcium “helper” nutrients in our multivitamins (like vitamin D3, vitamin K2, magnesium and boron)—nutrients that play an important role in helping support bone health, but may not always be as easy to get enough of through food alone.* (1)