Our series Before 9 explores the early morning routines of inspiring women, in their own words. Follow along for the hacks, habits, and tidbits that set them up for success during the rest of the day.
- Despite juggling a career that's busier than ever (The Hills: New Beginnings, anyone?) Whitney Port's mornings are intentionally quiet—a time to find stillness away from the hustle of Hollywood and spend those earliest hours of the day with her family.
- "I savor every minute," she says. "I can actually think clearly about my intentions for the day without any distractions."
Hey there—we’re Ritual, a health company on a mission to inspire women to be their best from the inside out. Learn more about our reinvented multivitamin, which we formulated with essential nutrients to help fill the gaps in your diet.
We wouldn't blame Whitney Port for wanting to sleep in.
It seems, after all, that her life has revved into overdrive now more than ever. This past June marked the premiere of The Hills: New Beginnings, the much-awaited revival of the beloved MTV show where so many of us first met Port back in 2006. And yet, feeding our mid-aughts nostalgia is only a small part of her day-to-day: Port also serves as the co-founder and Chief Brand Director of Bundle Organics and recently launched a popular weekly podcast, With Whit. This is all on top of being a very devoted mom to an adorable 2-year-old boy named Sonny.
So it's pretty understandable that Port prefers to use the early morning hours to get away from all of the chaos and demands of her career—to reserve some quiet moments with her family and embrace a bit of minimalism before her day inevitably picks up the pace. Follow along as she shares her routine below.
I very intentionally try not to hit the ground running.
"When I first open my eyes, I try to just lay there for a while and not think about my to-do list. I try to think about how to approach the day, and how I’m going to approach it with a positive mindset. I say all the things I am grateful for and think about all the love I have, which usually puts me in the right mindset for my day!"
In that same spirit, my favorite morning rituals are simple but effective.
- "[For starters,] I say good morning to my husband, hug him and tell him I love him. It's just so important to shower the people you love with love. It goes such a long way, because I can give him the love he needs to feel positive about the day, and I get it in return. Unless we have a bad dream about each other, ha!
- "Hot Yoga—it is so important to me that I do this. It doesn't happen every morning, but I leave that room with so much energy and happiness. It's addicting!
- "I make Sonny breakfast. I love cooking for Sonny. I don't love cooking for myself so much, but it feels so good to know I am nourishing Sonny for the day."