I first developed the Be Well Smoothie for a client who was a model needing to meet specific body composition demands from her agent and manager. With the goal of fueling her metabolism, I’d recommended she start the day with a vegetable omelette that included avocado. That approach didn’t fit well with her lifestyle, though. So one day, I brought over containers of protein, fat and fiber without labels and taught her to blend up a liquid meal replacement. From then on, she was eating 500-600 more calories a day and losing fat, increasing muscle tone.
What I love about this formula is that it’s a customizable way to nourish your body with the nutrients that turn off hunger hormones, elongate your good sugar curve and keep you satisfied for hours. With just a few simple building blocks, it helps your system to cleanse daily, stay regular and avoid excessive blood sugar spikes. It also feeds your microbiome with insoluble fiber and ensures you get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals from food. The healthy fat helps your body produce hormones and is essential for the absorption of vitamins A, D, E and K. It also helps you naturally ditch food anxiety. Studies have confirmed that women who start their day with sufficient protein not only feel more relaxed throughout the day and around food, but also eat less overall.
Think of the smoothie formula below as a guide to optimizing your nutrition with your favorite flavor combinations. Protein, fat and fiber are always recommended, but if you aren’t in the mood for greens or fruit, just keep it simple (i.e.: chocolate milk or chocolate coconut milk).
- Protein: Our recommendations for protein varies depending on our clients lifestyle and goals. Look for a clean sprouted vegetarian protein or an organic grass fed whey. Servings will vary depending on your selected protein, read the directions and add one serving or about 20 grams of protein per smoothie.
- Fat: Avocado, coconut oil, MCT oil, nut butter, walnuts, cocoa butter, or Ghee at room temperature.
- Fiber: Raw fiber powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, acacia fiber, or avocado. (We recommend keeping your smoothie psyllium husk free.)
- Greens: Kale, spinach, romaine, basil, cilantro, parsley, cucumber, or fennel. Or, for that matter, other vegetable, herb, microgreen or leafy green.
- Fructose: Berries, lemons, limes, mango, banana, pears, peaches, beets—or even carrots. Frozen fruit (try bananas) are a fun option if you like your smoothie thick and chunky.
- Liquid: Water, almond milk, coconut water, cashew milk, flax milk, walnut milk, hemp milk or cold pressed green juice. Take note of the sugar content in your green juice and avoid added fructose. Depending on your preference for a thin or thick smoothie you can add liquid accordingly. We have seen it takes at least a cup to get the blender moving.
- Superfoods/Additives: Adaptogens, green powders, collagen, turmeric, bee pollen, goji berries, raw gluten-free granola, cocoa nibs, ginger, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, sea salt. Superfoods can be used as a fun topping or add to your smoothie for supplemental needs, but always take into account your personal goals and needs. Many of these additions can be glucose spiking and change the nutritional makeup for our formula.
- Blend your ingredients together to create a smooth consistency.
- Add ice and blend to cool.
- Chocolate Milk = Chocolate protein powder, MCT oil, water,
- Creamy Green Apple = Vanilla protein powder, fiber, spinach, green apple, avocado, almond Milk
- Chocolate Almond Butter = Chocolate protein powder, flax seeds, almond butter, almond milk
- Walnut Butter Cookie = Vanilla protein powder, walnuts, nut milk
- Blueberry Pie = Vanilla protein powder, fiber, spinach, almond butter, blueberries, almond milk
- Chocolate Raspberry = Chocolate protein powder, kale, raspberries, coconut oil, almond milk
- Coconut Limeade = Vanilla protein powder, spinach, lime, coconut oil, coconut water
- Chocolate Coconut = Chocolate protein powder, coconut oil, almond milk
- Carrot Ginger = Plain whey protein, carrot, ginger, MCT oil, almond milk
- Kale Beet Avocado = Vanilla protein powder, collagen, kale, beet, avocado, cashew milk
Kelly LeVeque is the founder of Be Well by Kelly, and is a holistic nutritionist, wellness expert and health coach based in Los Angeles, California. Guided by a practical and always optimistic approach, Kelly helps clients improve their health, achieve their goals and develop sustainable habits to live a healthy and balanced life. Working with well-known names such as Jessica Alba, Evan Peters, and Chelsea Handler, Kelly is extremely passionate about the science of human nutrition and helping clients achieve their personal health goals.